Friday, March 11, 2011

{Applique Onesies}

I'm back!!! So I've been really busy working on design projects at work....I should have {before & afters} up here soon. I just had to take a break and get a little crafty. Check out these cute little Applique Onesies I made for my "expecting" friend:


I did these in no-time. Each one is made with love and leftover discontinued fabric samples {I love working for a furniture dealer Bragg's where I have access to such beautiful fabrics!} My husband calls me a fabric junkie because I have overflowing bins of fabrics.... waiting to be used on the next project.

How did I do this? I used a little bit of heat bond lite, an iron, a needle and thread. All found at our new JoAnn Fabrics. The onesies can be found at any baby store or Target store, etc.

{image from JoAnn Fabrics}
Simply draw a sketch of what you want to applique. My friend is having a boy, so I did a cute car, elephant and the letter "b" for their last initial. Once you have your drawn sketch (or printed from the internet :), make sure the scale is proportionate to your article of clothing. I used 0-3 months size, so I had to make the appliques tiny! Lay your cut out sketch over your desired fabric, with the heat bond sheet behind it and cut around the edges. Follow directions on the heat bond lite when you iron.


After you have your finished applique, the No-Slip Hoop stitch really helps keep your fabric taut while you stitch around the edges. Have fun!


{here's a close-up... the elephant even has a tail!}

Happy Friday!

Sarah :-)

3 comments:

southerninspiration said...

cute, Sarah!! Did you wash your onesies and the fabric before you started??

Suzanne

Jenny Fleming said...

I loved the texture of the b on the onesie you made! We all passed them around the shower and admired them.

Sarah Cruze Designs said...

Yes, Suzanne! I pre-washed the onesies and the fabric (separately) in Dreft laundry detergent. Sorry I forgot to mention this! This helps prevent shrinking. Also, you can add "Fray Check" to the edges of your applique before you stitch it.

I'm glad y'all liked them, Jenny!

Sarah :-)